Friday, July 1, 2011

Happy Canada Day

Every July 1st, my family celebrates Canada Day and my brother-in-law's birthday, along with a reunion with family members arriving from Vancouver.  We have a great big BBQ at my brother-in-law's, who lives in a beautiful waterfront house with the biggest private pool I have ever seen!

We eat like kings, drink like fish, swim, sail, catch up with aunts, uncles, cousins, friends... and at the end of the evening, we sit on the dock to watch about a dozen fireworks going off from here down the road in Beaconsfield, to Pointe-Claire, Lachine, Montreal, and those going off in many municipalities across the lake.  Then the neighbors along the waterfront try to outdo themselves with their very own pyrotechnics shows!  We have the best seats in town!

I finally got around to preparing some cake pops, with a red-white-Canada theme!  I've been wanting to make cake pops for a while now, just never found the time with all these babies and kids running around!  It was my first go at it, and had issues with the candy melts.  Both flavors taste amazing, but will hopefully look better on my second try!
I followed the Oreo Truffles recipe from Bakerella, and the Cake Pop Tutorial posted on BlogHer using a white cake mix.

I also prepared a great salad recipe from The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook - the Three Bean Salad.  So easy to make, and always a hit!  Note the red bowl!
Happy Canada Day!

1 comment:

  1. Salad looks yummy. Nice try on the cake pops! They look great. They're hard to do, eh? I agree, they weren't easy. But fun and yummy!

    Sounds like you had a fantastic Canada Day celebrations!

    ReplyDelete